A first rack #VineAndWine #wine #figs #homebrew

figwineafterfirstrackAnd we’ve got wine.

(This post written on Sunday, Oct 16, 2016. – Yeah, I’m not posting it until Thursday as I don’t want a glut of posts on the weekend and nothing during the week 🙂 )

Okay, so it’s still got a long ways to go till its pleasant on the palette, but the wine has been removed from the primary fermenting bucket. It’s now in the carboy doing it’s settling thing.

I took this image about 30 minutes after I racked it.

All the books said 5-7 days so I wasn’t expecting the primary fermentation to slow down until Monday. However, Saturday night I noticed that the bubbling  had slowed down. I found a small notation in the back of one of my recipe booklets. It said that fig wine was similar to raisin wine and would take 3-5 days. Score.

This morning I checked the airlock and it wasn’t bubbling at all. So I cleaned and sanitized my equipment. Then I took a hydrometer reading. Oops. LOL My original reading was 1080. From the recipe booklet, I should have racked it off when it reached 1040 and then it’s secondary fermentation would have taken 4-6 weeks until it reached 0.99. Well, the hydrometer read 0.99. So it looks like my wine blasted through primary and secondary fermentation quickly.

However, I want the flavors to mellow, the sediment to drop, to probably backsweeten the wine a bit to bring out the flavor of the figs, and for it to clear which will still take months.

The racking

The racking process is simple and quick – the preparation for it not so much. Not that it was difficult, but it does take time to clean and sanitize everything. The most difficult part was connecting the siphon hose to the auto-siphon tube. However, once that was done and I started the siphon, it took only a couple minutes for the wine to go from the primary to the secondary.

Then I did what anyone in my position would do. I poured a tiny bit of the wine from the hydrometer into a cup and tasted it. I’ll try to explain what it tasted like. First off – the major taste was pure wine alcohol. Bleck. It was strong and overpowered whatever flavors are hopefully hiding in the wine. It took a couple minutes to rid my palette of the extremely strong alcohol taste and that’s when hints of fig came through. I’m looking forward to the next racking when I get rid of all of the sediment and can taste it again.

Here is a picture of the carboy 2 hours after the racking – I don’t know if you can see it, but there’s already a thin layer of sediment on the bottom.

figwineafterfirstrack_sediment

There won’t be another update on this wine until the next racking – look for it sometime in late November/early December. But, sometime in the next week I plan to start my quince mead. I need 2 items for it before I begin – another carboy and the honey.

Stay tuned….

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This