Okay, yes this post mentions “50 Shades of Grey” by EL James, but I am not here to harass her for her writing style. Just because you don’t like it, does not make it bad. Plus, I doubt she cares what people think of her writing style – it hasn’t held her books back any, has it? Obviously there are many who enjoy it.
I am however going to discuss what I consider wrong with that particular series – the way it paints those in the BDSM lifestyle. Hollywood and authors the likes of E.L. James love to color those who are attracted to BDSM as psychotics, mentally deranged child abusers, and every other unkind and disgusting visage they can come up with.
I’m not saying that doesn’t happen. Sure, the odd degenerate will come in and try to make themself at home, especially online where any tom, dick, or sarah can call themself Master. And yes there are those who have been abused who are into BDSM. But guess what? There are also a lot of people who have been abused who aren’t into BDSM. And there are a lot of people into BDSM who have never been abused.
Kayt Sukel wrote a great article for The Huffington Post entitled “50 Shades Of Grey (Matter): How Science Is Defying BDSM Stereotypes”. I suggest you follow the link and read it. It debunks several myths about the BDSM lifestyle as are presented in 50 Shades.
Some of the myths she discusses:
- BDSM is violent.
- Men like Christian Grey are into BDSM because they were abused as children.
- Men like Christian Grey lash out because they are unable to emotionally bond with others.
- Men like Christian Grey are very unhappy and express that unhappiness through BDSM.
- Men like Christian Grey have brains that are not wired to properly process pleasure or pain.
- You have the main character of Christian Grey who was abused until he was four, then became a sub of a friend of his mothers when he was but a teenager, thus furthering the abuse idea.
- Then there is the fore-said friend of his mother’s – the Mrs. Robinson character. She is abusive and territorial. Even though Christian is no longer her sub, she lives in a dream world and still thinks of him as hers.
- Last but not least is the former sub of Christian’s who went off the deep end when he released her and wants to kill Anastasia because of it.
- Not to mention the fact that as soon as Christian realizes he ‘loves’ Anastasia, suddenly he loses his desire for Sadist behavior thus leading back to the idea that being in the lifestyle means you are sick in the head.